Personal InformationMore >>
Associate Professor Supervisor of Master's Candidates
Shibin Lin, PhD, Associate Professor
2018.12 ‒ present Dalian University of Technology Associate Professor
2018.5 ‒ 2018.11 Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center Research Engineer
2016.5 ‒ 2018.4 Rutgers University Postdoctoral Research Associate
2014.5 ‒ 2016.4 Iowa State University Postdoctoral Research Associate
2010.8 ‒ 2014.4 Iowa State University
2007.9 ‒ 2010.6 Institute of Engineering Mechanics, China Earthquake Administration
2003.9 ‒ 2007.6 Kunming University of Science and Technology, China
Nondestructive Testing & Evaluation
Structural Dynamics & Soil Dynamics
Selected peer-reviewed journal papers (*Corresponding Author)
24. Lin S, Yi T.H., Ashlock J, Gucunski N. 2021. Forward modeling of Rayleigh surface waves for analytical characterization of dominant dispersion trends. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.3564
23. Lin S., Ashlock J., Li B. 2021. “Direct estimation of shear-wave velocity profiles from surface wave investigation of geotechnical sites.” Géotechnique, http://doi.org/10.1680/jgeot.20.P.258
22. Lin S., Gucunski N., Shams S., Wang Y. 2021. “Seismic site classification from surface wave data to Vs,30 without inversion.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering (ASCE), 2021, 147(6): 04021029.
21. Lin S., Wang Y. 2020. “Crack-depth estimation in concrete elements using ultrasonic shear-horizontal waves.” Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities (ASCE), 2020, 34(4): 04020064. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001473.
20. Lin, S., Shams, S., Choi, H., Meng, D., Azari, H., 2020. “Estimation of wave velocity for ultrasonic imaging of concrete based on dispersion analysis.” Journal of Testing and Evaluation (ASTM)，48(2): 1095–1107.
19. Meng, D., Lin, S.*, Azari, H., 2020. “Non-destructive corrosion evaluation of reinforced concrete bridge decks with overlays: an experimental study.” Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 48(1): 516–537.
18. Azari, H., Lin, S.*, 2019. “Evaluation of the impact echo method for concrete bridge decks with asphalt overlays.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2673(2), 436-444.
17. Lin, S., Meng, D., Choi, H., Shams, S., Azari, H., 2018. “Laboratory assessment of nine methods for nondestructive evaluation of concrete bridge decks with overlays.” Construction and Building Materials, 188, 966-982.
16. Li, C., Ashlock, J. C., Lin, S.*, Vennapusa, P., 2018. “In situ modulus reduction characteristics of stabilized pavement foundations by multichannel analysis of surface waves and falling weight deflectometer tests.” Construction and Building Materials, 188, 809-819.
15. Lin, S., Shams, S., Choi, H., Azari, H., 2018. “Ultrasonic imaging of multi-layer concrete structures.” NDT & E International, 98, 101-109.
14. Lin, S., Ashlock, J. C., and Williams, R.C., 2016. “Nondestructive quality assessment of asphalt pavements based on dynamic modulus.” Construction and Building Materials, 112: 836-847.
13. Lin, S., and Ashlock, J. C., 2016. “Surface-wave testing soil sites using multi-channel simulation with one receiver.” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 87: 82-92.
12. Lin, S., Ashlock, J. C., Williams, R. C., Lee, H. D., Wang, Y., 2018. “Evaluation of three nondestructive testing techniques for quality assessment of asphalt pavements.” Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, 33(4): 361-375.
11. Lin, S.*, and Ashlock, J. C., 2017. “Improved seismic profiling by Minimally-invasive Multimodal Surface Wave method with Standard Penetration Test source (MMSW-SPT).” Geophysical Journal International, 208 (3), 1308-1312.
10. Lin, S., and Ashlock, J. C., 2014. “Multimode Rayleigh wave profiling by hybrid surface and borehole methods.” Geophysical Journal International, 197(2): 1184-1195.
9. Lin, S.*, and Ashlock, J. C., 2015. “Comparison of MASW and MSOR for surface wave testing of pavements.” Journal of Environmental & Engineering Geophysics, 20(4): 277-285.
8. Lin, S.*, Xie, L., Gong, M., and Li, M., 2010. “Performance-based methodology for assessing seismic vulnerability and capacity of buildings.” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 9(2): 157-165.
7. Meng, D., Lin, S.*, Azari, H., 2018, “Reducing thermal reflections for infrared thermography applications on tunnel liners with reflective finishes.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2672(41), 145-155.
6. Can, C., Lin, S.*, Williams, R. C., and Ashlock, J. C., 2018. “Non-destructive modulus testing and performance evaluation for asphalt pavement reflective cracking mitigation treatments.” Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering, 13(1), 46-53.
5. Shams S., Ghorbanpoor, A., Lin, S.*, Azari, H., 2018. “Nondestructive testing of steel corrosion in prestressed concrete structures using the magnetic flux leakage system.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2672(41), 132-144.
4. Ashlock, J. C., and Lin, S., 2015. “Critical depths for higher modes by Minimally-invasive Multimodal Surface Wave (MMSW) method: simulations and field test.” Journal of Environmental & Engineering Geophysics, 20(2): 195-202.
3. Wang, Y., Lin, S., Fan, F., Zhai X., and Qian, H., 2016 “Numerical simulation of aluminium alloy 6082-T6 columns failing by overall buckling.” Advances in Structural Engineering, 19(10): 1547 -1574.
2. Gong, M., Lin, S., Sun, J., Li, S., Dai, J., and Xie, L., 2015. “Seismic intensity map and typical structural damage of the 2010 Ms 7.1 Yushu Earthquake in China.” Natural Hazards, 77(2): 847-866.
1. Wang, Y., Fan, F., and Lin, S., 2014. “Experimental investigation on the stability of aluminium alloy 6082 circular tubes in axial compression.” Thin-walled Structures, 89: 54-66.
3. Co-editor, Standard of mass data processing for structural health monitoring, T/CCES16-2020
2. Co-editor, Standard for construction and acceptance of structural health monitoring systems, T/CECS765-2020
1. Co-editor, Technical regulation on sensor selection and placement for bridge health monitoring, T/CCES15-2020
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Member
American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Member
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Member
ASCE Geophysical Engineering Committee Committee Member
ASCE Mechanics of Pavements Committee Committee Member
ASCE Pavements Committee Committee Member
ASNT Infrared/Thermal (IR) Committee Committee Member
ASNT Ultrasonics (UT) Committee Committee Member
ASTM Concrete and Concrete Aggregates Committee Committee Member
ASTM Nondestructive Testing Committee Committee Member