Personal InformationMore >>
Professor Supervisor of Doctorate Candidates Supervisor of Master's Candidates
1. Contact Details
Xia Zhou, Ph.D., Professor
State Key Laboratory of Structural Analysis for Industrial Equipment,
Department of Engineering Mechanics,
Faculty of Vehicle Engineering and Mechanics,
Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116024, P.R.China.
Office Telephone: +86-411-84706782; Cellphone: +86-15941132351
2. Professional Summary
Experienced materials and mechanics science professor with thorough discipline in nanomechanics, mesomechanics and dynamic mechanical behavior of composite materials and structures. Committed to the development and launch of pioneering research with comprehensive knowledge of my subject matter.
3. Research Fields for PhD and Masters Students
● Characterization of multiscale mechanical behavior of advanced materials and structures
● Dynamic mechanical behavior and impact dynamics of advanced materials and structures
● Surface nanocrystallization mechanics and mechanics of thin Films and Coating
● Mechanics of composite materials and structures
● Micro/nano mechanical characterization and calculation
● Mechanical Characterization and calculation at micro/nano-scale
● Advanced manufacturing process mechanics of lightweight sandwich structure based on 3D printing
● Thermal-mechanical coupling analysis in ultrashort pulsed laser micromachining
● Failure and reliability of materials and structures
4. Professional Experience
Visiting Scholar, Nanomechanics Lab., The University of Vermont, USA, 2015.1-2015.8.
Professor, Department of Engineering Mechanics, Dalian University of Technology, 2012.12 to present.
Associate professor, Department of Engineering Mechanics, Dalian University of Technology, 2001.9-2012.11.
Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Postdoctor/Associate professor, 1999.9-2001.9.
5. Latest Journal Publications and Books
 ZHOU Xia, ZHAO Chang-mei. Numerical simulation of dynamic behavior of extruded AZ91D magnesium alloy based on SHPB experiment. The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2014, 24(8):1968-1975. (in Chinese)
 ZHOU Xia, SONG Shangyu. Interatomic pair potentials and their validation for SiC/Mg interface by lattice inversion method. Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica, 2017, 34(8): 1794-1800. (in Chinese)
 Xia Zhou, Xiaoxia Liu, Frederic Sansoz, Mengqi Shen. Molecular dynamics simulation on temperature and stain rate-dependent tensile response and failure behavior of Ni-coated CNT/Mg composites. Applied Physics A, 2018, 124:506, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-018-1918-5.
 Zhou X, Song S Y. Molecular dynamics simulation for mechanical properties of magnesium matrix composites reinforced with nickel-coated single-walled carbon nanotubes. Journal of Composite Materials, 2016, 50(2): 191-200.
 Song S Y, Zhou X, Li L, Ma W M. Numerical simulation and experimental validation of SiC nanoparticle distribution in magnesium melts during ultrasonic cavitation based processing of magnesium matrix nanocomposites. Ultrasonics sonochemistry, 2015, 24: 43-54.
 ZHOU Xia，LI Kai，CHEN Chenghang，CHEN Xingchi. Low-velocity impact response and damage simulation of fiber /magnesium alloy composite laminates. Journal of Vibration and Shock, 2018, 37(22): 1-9. (in Chinese)
 ZHOU Xia, WEN Dong, SHEN Mengqi, SONG Shangyu. Anisotropic yield and damage in warm forming of AZ31 magnesium alloy sheet: Implementation of constitutive model and numerical analysis. Acta Aeronautica et Astronautica Sinica, 2018，39(5): 421665-1-421665-13.(in Chinese)
 WAN Zhenyu, ZHOU Xia, ZHANG Zhao. Calculations of Microstructural Changes and Predictions of Mechanical Properties in Friction Stir Welding of AA6005-T6. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 2018, 54(8):129-136. (in Chinese)
 Xia ZHOU, Li LI, Dong WEN, Xiao-xia LIU. Effect of hybrid ratio on friction and wear behavior of AZ91D matrix nanocomposites under oil lubricated conditions. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 2018, 28: 440-450.
 Z.Y. Wan, Z. Zhang, X. Zhou. Finite element modeling of grain growth by point tracking method in friction stir welding of AA6082-T6. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2016, 90(9–12): 1–8.
 Z. Zhang, Z.Y. Wan, L.-E. Lindgren, Z.J. Tan, X. Zhou. The Simulation of precipitation evolutions and mechanical properties in friction stir welding with post-weld heat treatments. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 2017, 26(12): 5731–5740.
 Xia Zhou, Xiaoxia Liu, Shaokang Cui, Yafu Fan. Dynamic tensile behavior and constitutive modeling of magnesium based hybrid nanocomposites at elevated temperatures. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2019, 131: 282-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2019.05.019
 Xia Zhou, Wenming Bu, Shangyu Song, Frederic Sansoz, et al. Multiscale modeling of interfacial mechanical behaviours of SiC/Mg nanocomposites. Materials & Design, Volume 182, 15 November 2019, 108093. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2019.108093
 ZHOU Xia, LIU Xiaoxia. Mechanical Properties and Strengthening Mechanism of Graphene Nanoplatelets Reinforced Magnesium Matrix Composites. Acta Metallurgica Sinica, 2020, 56(2): 240-248. (in Chinese)
 Zhou Xia et al. A Monograph of Nanosurface Engineering and Mechanics (reprint), China Machine Press, Beijing, 2015, the First Award for Dalian Scientific Books. (Paperback, ISBN 978-7-111-36954-7)
 Zhang Zhao, Zhou Xia. A Monograph of Analysis and Calculation of Engineering Materials, China Science Press, Beijing, 2017. (Paperback, ISBN 9787030513533)
 Xia Zhou,Yuting Zhao,Xingchi Chen,Zifan Liu,Junlei Li,Yafu Fan.Fabrication and mechanical properties of novel CFRP/Mg alloy hybrid laminates with enhanced interface adhesion.Materials & Design,Volume 197,1 January 2021,109251.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2020.109251
 Xia Zhou, Guolong Jiang, Shangyu Song, Junlei Li & Liming Liu. Molecular dynamics simulation of enhanced interfacial cohesive behavior of Ni-coated MWCNT/Mg. Composite Interfaces, 25 Mar 2021,https://doi.org/10.1080/09276440.2021.1898255
 Xia ZHOU, Zi-fan LIU, Feng SU, Ya-fu FAN. Magnesium composites with hybrid nano-reinforcements: 3D simulation of dynamic tensile response at elevated temperatures. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 2021, 31(3): 636-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(21)65525-5.
 Xia Zhou, Junlei Li, Chi Qu, Wenming Bu, Zifan Liu, Yafu Fan, George Bao. Bending behavior of hybrid sandwich composite structures containing 3D printed PLA lattice cores and magnesium alloy face sheets. The Journal of Adhesion, 2021, June 23rd. https://doi.org/10.1080/00218464.2021.1939015.
6. Major Research Projects
● Dynamic Mechanical Behavior and Damage Mechanism of Multi-Scale Carbon Fiber Reinforced Magnesium Alloy Laminates Under Impact Loading. Projects from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC).
● Dynamic Mechanical Behavior and Strengthening-toughening Mesomechanisms of High-performance Magnesium Alloy Based Hybrid Nanocomposites. Projects from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC).
● Development of compression natural gas (CNG) engine to meet the “National Phase IV Emission Standards” for heavy-duty commercial vehicle－reliability analysis and control on valve train system for CNG engine. Supported by the National “863” Key Science and Technology Planning Projects of China.
● Research on mechanical behavior of magnesium-based hybrid nanocomposites reinforced by both nanoparticles and carbon nanotubes. Projects from the Natural Science Foundation of Liaoning Province of China.
7. Honors / Awards
● First Grade Qu Bochuan Award of Teaching and Academic Research in Dalian University of Technology, 2013
● Scientific Research Outstanding Achievement Award of China Education Ministry (Second Level Award of Technology Innovation), 2012
● Second Prize of Science and Technology Award of China Machinery Industry, 2011
● Second Prize of Science and Technology Award of China Nonferrous Metals Industry, 2008
- 先进材料与结构跨尺度力学行为表征 先进材料与结构的动态力学行为与冲击动力学 表面纳米晶化力学与薄膜/涂层力学行为 复合材料与结构力学 微纳米力学表征与计算 基于3D打印的轻质结构先进制造工艺力学 激光微加工中的热力耦合问题 材料与结构失效及可靠性 生物及仿生材料力学行为