Personal InformationMore >>
Associate Professor Supervisor of Master's Candidates
Du Zongliang, PhD, associate professor, supervisor of master's candidates. Selected as a member of the 5th group of "Xinghai 1000 Yougth Talents Plan" at Dalian University of Technology.
Current research interest focuses on solid mechanics, computational mechanics and related interdisciplinary field, including: structural optimization, topological mechanics, modelling and mechanical analysis based on machine learning and data-driven method, and non-smooth mechanics.
Novel results were obtained in the research directions of fundamental theory and numerical algorithms of structural optimization, the analysis and design of bi-moduldus materials/structures and topological mechanics. Totally 29 research papers and 1 book chaper have been published, including those in the flagship journals, e.g., Journal of the Mechanics of Physics and Solids in solid mechanics, Computers and Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering in computational mechanics, Physical Review Letters in applied physics, with 600+ google scholar citations. Results were acknowledged as "an important development", "of great significance", "elegant variational principles", "have solid mathematical foundations" by famous researchers, and were adoped by the research team of Academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering to some important military projects as well.
01/2020 - present, Associate Professor, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
01/2019 - 12/2019, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Missouri, Columbia, USA
01/2017 - 12/2018, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, San Diego, USA
B.E. in Engineering Mechanics (07/2009), Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
Ph.D. in Engineering Mechanics (12/2016), Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
Soid mechanics, Computational mechanics, Engineering mechanics
Welcome undergraduates majored in mechanics, physics, mechanical engineering, computer science, mathematics to join our group!
· Commentator of Mathematical Reviews (American Mathematical Society)
· Refrees of peer reviewed journals: Computers and Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Additive Manufacturing, Materials & Design, Journal of Mechanical Design-ASME, Composite Structures, Wave Motion, Acta Mechanica Sinica, etc
Mechanics of Plates and Shells, undergraduate, in English, 48 hours
· Start-up grants at DUT, Optimal design of mechanical topological insulators by machine learning, 2020-2022
Publications in peer reviewed journals
· Z. Du#, G. Zhang#, T. Guo, S. Tang*, X. Guo*. Tension-compression asymmetry at finite strains: A theoretical model and exact solutions. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 143(2020), 104084.
· C. Liu, Z. Du*, Y. Zhu, W. Zhang, X. Zhang, X. Guo*. Optimal design of shell-graded-infill structures by a hybrid MMC-MMV approach. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., 369(2020), 113187.
· X. Xu#, C. Wang#, W. Shou#, Z. Du, Y. Chen, B. Li, W. Matusik, N. Hussein*, G. Huang*. Physical realization of elastic cloaking with a polar material. Phys. Rev. Lett., 124(2020), 114301.
· L. Li*, Z. Du, H. A. Kim. Design of architected materials for thermoelastic macrostructures using level set method. JOM, 72(2020), 1734-1744.
· Z. Du#, H. Chen#, G. Huang*. Optimal quantum valley Hall insulators by rationally engineering Berry curvature and band structure. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 135(2020), 103784.
· X. Zhou*, Z. Du, H. A. Kim. A level set shape metamorphosis with mechanical constraints for geometrically graded microstructures. Struct . Multidisc. Optim., 60(2019), 1-16.
· Y. Zhu, S. Li, Z. Du, C. Liu, X. Guo*, W. Zhang*. A novel asymptotic-analysis-based homogenisation approach towards fast design of infill graded microstructures. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 124(2019), 612-633.
· Z. Du, W. Zhang, Y. Zhang, R. Xue, X. Guo*. Structural topology optimization involving bi-modulus materials with asymmetric properties in tension and compression. Comput. Mech., 63(2019), 335-363.
· R. Xue, C. Liu, W. Zhang, Y. Zhu, S. Tang, Z. Du*, X. Guo*. Explicit structural topology optimization under finite deformation via Moving Morphable Void (MMV) approach. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., 344(2019), 798-818.
· X. Lei, C. Liu*, Z. Du, W. Zhang, X. Guo*. Machine learning-driven real-time topology optimization under moving morphable component-based framework. J. App. Mech., 86(2019), 011004.
· C. Liu, Y. Zhu, Z. Sun, D. Li, Z. Du*, W. Zhang, X. Guo*. An efficient moving morphable component (MMC)-based approach for multi-resolution topology optimization. Struct . Multidisc. Optim., 58(2018), 2455-2479.
· Z. Du*, X. Zhou, R. Picelli, H. A. Kim. Connecting microstructures for multiscale topology optimization with connectivity index constraints. J. Mech. Des.-Special Issue, 140(2018), 111417.
· W. Zhang*, Y. Liu, Z. Du, X. Guo*. A moving morphable component based topology optimization approach for rib-stiffened structures considering buckling constraints. J. Mech. Des. - Special Issue, 140(2018), 111404.
· J. Du, Z. Du*, Y. Wei, W. Zhang, X. Guo*. Exact response bound analysis of truss structures via linear mixed 0‐1 programming and sensitivity bounding technique.Int. J. Numer. Methods Engrg., 116(2018), 21-42.
· Z. Sun, T. Cui, Y. Zhu, W. Zhang, S. Shi, S. Tang, Z. Du, C. Liu, R. Cui, H. Chen, X. Guo*. The mechanical principles behind the golden ratio distribution of veins in plant leaves. Sci. Rep., 8(2018), 13859.
· W. Zhang, D. Li, J. Zhou, Z. Du, B. Li, X. Guo*. A moving morphable void (MMV)-based explicit approach for topology optimization considering stress constraints. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., 334(2018), 381-413.
· W. Zhang, J. Song, J. Zhou, Z. Du, Y. Zhu, Z. Sun, X. Guo*. Topology optimization with multiple materials via moving morphable component (MMC) method. Int. J. Numer. Methods Engrg., 113(2018), 1653-1675.
· R. Xue, R. Li, Z. Du*, W. Z. Du Zhang, Y. Zhu, Z. Sun, X. Guo*. Kirigami pattern design of mechanically driven formation of complex 3D structures through topology optimization. Extreme Mech. Lett., 15(2017), 139-144.
· X. Guo*, J. Zhou, W. Zhang*, Z. Du, C. Liu, Y. Liu. Self-supporting structure design in additive manufacturing through explicit topology optimization. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., 323(2017), 27-63.
· C. Liu, Z. Du, W. Zhang, Y. Zhu, X. Guo*. Additive manufacturing-oriented design of graded lattice structures through explicit topology optimization. J. Appl. Mech., 84(2017), 081008.
· W. Zhang, Z. Du, G. Sun, X. Guo*. A level set approach for damage identification of continuum structures based on dynamic responses. J. Sound. Vib., 386(2017), 100-115.
· Z. Du, Y. Zhang, W. Zhang, X. Guo*. A new computational framework for materials with different mechanical responses in tension and compression and its applications. Int. J. Solids Struct., 100-101(2016), 54-73.
· Z. Du, X. Guo*. Symmetry analysis for structural optimization problems involving reliability measure and bi-modulus materials. Struct. Multidisc. Optim., 53(2016), 973-984.
· C. Liu, Z. Du, Z. Sun, H. Gao, X. Guo*. Frequency-preserved acoustic diode model with high forward-power-transmission rate. Phys. Rev. Applied, 3(2015), 064014.
· D. Yang*, G. Chen, Z. Du. Direct kinematic method for exactly constructing influence lines of forces of statically indeterminate structures. Struct. Eng. Mech., 54(2015), 793-807.
· Z. Du, X. Guo*. Variational principles and the related bounding theorems for bi-modulus materials. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 73(2014), 183-211.
· X. Guo*, Z. Du, G. Cheng. A confirmation of a conjecture on the existence of symmetric optimal solution under multiple loads. Struct. Multidisc. Optim., 50(2014), 659-661.
· X. Guo*, Z. Du, G. Cheng, C. Ni. Symmetry properties in structural optimization: some extensions. Struct. Multidisc. Optim., 47(2013), 783-794.
· X. Guo*, C. Ni, G. Cheng, Z. Du. Some symmetry results for optimal solutions in structural optimization. Struct. Multidisc. Optim., 46(2012), 631-645.
· X. Guo*, W. Zhang, Z. Du. Topology Optimization Based on Explicit Geometry Description, in Encyclopedia of Continuum Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, 2020.